Today was one of those days for me. A good, productive day, starting with teaching an early morning yoga class, followed by a productive day at the office and a Mediterranean dinner out with hubby where we discussed our long term savings and budget goals without the distraction of the TV or chores at home.
Arriving at home this evening my body was craving a little bit of movement especially after sitting for most of the day and yet I was also longing for a soothing & restorative practice.
Today's Tip: Soothing & Restorative Yoga is STILL Yoga!
- You don't need to sweat or move swiftly as in a vinyasa practice for your practice to be yoga
- Give yourself permission to rest
- You are not cheating yourself!!
- Restorative yoga is stress reducing, alleviating the fight or flight response triggered by our environment on a daily basis
- Holding a few poses for several minutes (vs several poses for only seconds) can provide a deeper sense of relaxation & lengthens the 'stretch' experience
- Forward folds in the evening are introspective and reflective, helping to calm & sooth the mind & breath
- Standing Forward Fold ~ 2 minutes
- Down Dog ~ 3 minutes
- Child Pose with shoulder stretch variations ~ 5 minutes
- Head stand ~ 1 minute
- Heart Opener w/ Hip Opener - pictured top left. Heart opener described in more detail here. ~ 5 minutes
What are your favorite evening poses?
Share your yoga pictures with me on Instagram, Facebook, or follow #MyYoga pictures from this month's yoga adventure.